Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens is a National Historic Landmark and is known as “Ohio’s First Manor.” It is located at 714 North Portage Path in Akron, OH.
Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens was once the 72-room summer home of F.A. Seiberling (co-founder of Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company) and his wife Gertrude. Construction began in 1912 on what had been an old working farm; it was completed in 1915. The estate has seven distinct indoor rooms, including the Grand Staircase, Dining Room, Living Room and Billiards Room all decorated with authentic Tiffany fixtures and stained glass windows. There are also 28 fireplaces throughout the house all with their original tiles imported from Europe.
Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens features a number of other historic landmarks.
The entrance to Stan Hywet is marked by the Gate Lodge, complete with half-timbering and stained glass windows. This structure was originally built as a farmhouse in 1851 for the estate’s caretaker, Mr. Charles Swift. The Carriage House has since been restored according to its original style and renovations have begun on the Overseer’s Cottage, which will open early 2012.
According to legend, there are many ghosts haunting Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens that were once servants or children who lived at the house when it belonged to the Seiberling family.